Friday, March 8, 2013

Fascination Cape Town, SA


I've spent my last three weeks in Cape Town, working home office and using my spare time on the water. KiteWorldWide has the most amazing mansion directly on the sunset beach, so after finishing work at 4 pm I could just walk down to the beach and rig my equipment for a sunset session. I’m so thankful for this opportunity to escape the cold winter here in Germany! This was my home beach the last three weeks:




Also, Gleiten.TV has been here, and we’ve been working on a spot description of Cape Town... Like this, I was so lucky to see and test some of the most beautiful spots I have ever surfed! I’m really excited to see how the project turns out. Here is the trailer:



Platboom, one of the spots of the Cape region,
you can see the Cape of Good hope just behind me.


Commitje, another spot just ahead of the Cape of Good hope.
Amazing long and wide beach, clean waves - what else do you need?

Sharks Bay, one of the spots in the Lagoon of Langebaan.

Sharks Bay

The wake park


To tell the truth, I was a bit nervous about the conditions facing me in Cape Town. Cold water.. sharks.. rough wind.. big waves.. Obviously, you will have to visit Cape Town to make your own mind up, like me! Yes the water is cold, but the air temperature is so warm, that you just long for your next wash in the waves to cool down. Sharks? Well I saw 100 of seals and some dolphins, but never a shark. Of course there are sharks around, but they are unlikely to attack a kitesurfer – why should they? And believe me, I was swimming around in the waves quite a few times, trying to get my passes. The wind can get super strong and the waves scary big, but that’s not every day – and you can always escape to another spot, since the wind gets less strong the further north you head. And sometimes, it’s just fascination enough to see what the real pro’s can do in these conditions – since they are all down training during the winter months.

Not to forget is the lifestyle around Cape Town, the chilled atmosphere. We did a barbeque (Braai) almost every second day! 
Braai at the roof terrace of the KWW lodge at Sunset Beach

Or went out eating at one of the many good restaurants. I think I’m coming home with 5 kilos more;) If you want party, Cape Town won’t let you down either.

Cape Town is a destination you should visit, if you want something more than just kitesurfing. Nature, shopping, culture, party, surfing and endless kitesurfing opportunities – here you find it all!

Bests,
Anne

Don't go home before you have your Savanna

KWW garden, best place for chilling

Cape Town by night coming down from Table Mountain

On the top of the Table Mountain. You can either take the gondola, or hike up
one of the many routes (1-5 hours)

Picnicking with KiteWorldWide Crew and guests on Table Mountain


Music is on, let's rock the Table



Oh, and this is the swimming pool at the roof terrace, overlooking the Sunset Beach spot.
Life could have been worse;)

1 comment: